ss_blog_claim=05016498bc2b955d34a84ae9266e9f5e

Thursday, December 20, 2007

Fake PayPal Email: Be Aware of Fake PayPal Sites

What Is PayPal?


For those who do not know about it, PayPal is an online payment system enables any individual or business with an email address to securely, easily and quickly send and receive payments online that available in 190 countries and regions around the world. PayPal is a subsidiary of eBay that serves payment-processing service for online vendors; an e-commerce business allowing payments and money transfers to be made through the Internet; it serves as an electronic alternative to traditional paper methods such as checks and money orders.

Warning: PayPal Fraudulent Email


If you are using PayPal, you need to be extremely careful. Even if you are not a PayPal member, you should be aware of since other online services will also facing the same problem. This is the first time I received PayPal fraudulent email or phising scam, which are very identical to genuine PayPal email. It looks like an authentic PayPal email. However, if you do some closer analysis of the entire content, you will notice that this is a fake email.


Then I tried to click the link that the email has provided to me. It leads me to:
http://adsl-66-137-86-81.dsl.lgvwtx.swbell.net/paypal.com/

This is very weird to me. I knew that there is something wrong, but I cannot get any notifications, because I opened the link using Internet Explorer v6.0. Then, I tried to open http://adsl-66-137-86-81.dsl.lgvwtx.swbell.net/ with FireFox, and I got more weird information.


When I clicked the “paypal.com/” directory link, it took me to a site that looked like PayPal in every respect, but with a notification from FireFox, telling me that this is a site that had suspected as a web forgery site.


I knew it; this is a fake PayPal site. However, my curiosity was really getting the better of me at this point and I want to know exactly what information that they wanted. Then, I put a fake email address, and then, I put a fake password too. Finally, click on the “Log In” button to know more about this fake PayPal login system.


Well, I think I have to warn you once again, please do not enter your real username and password to test this fake PayPal site. If someone gets your real username and password, they can access the money from your checking account and or credit cards. Please take my advice if you do not want to be a victim of this fake PayPal site.

Finally, I knew it; they want to acquire sensitive information, such as passwords, account details, or credit card numbers. This kind of attack is called as Phising attack.


Protect Your PayPal Account: What We Should Do?


I am advising you not to use your real email and real password in the login fields in this fake PayPal site. You should forward the fake email to spoof@paypal.com to notify PayPal about these new PayPal phising emails and sites. If you are using Gmail, you can done it by clicking “More Options > Report Phishing”. Once again, you should never fully trust any email that you have received supposedly from PayPal. Make sure it first, whether the email is indeed authentic or merely a fake, phising email.

No comments:

Useful Posts