"It is not the matter of taste; it is more about being the honest person we all try to be when we go to a party. We can put many efforts into our website then find out that our visitors hate it"
When it comes to website design, understanding what visitors want most is necessary, unless we do not want them to visit our website again. However, have we ever considered that our website may be annoying?
The aim of most web designers is to create an attractive, easily navigate and functional website that will persuade and convince the visitor to do something. However, to be able to create such a website requires excellent graphic design, intuitive and easy accessible website, good web copy and logical website layout.
Couples of weeks ago, my friend asked me to check one of the websites she had developed. My is a web designer and her client wanted a nice attractive flash header. Personally, it was a great website; you cannot miss it at all. Some attractive graphics elements were flying in while sound effects created just the right atmosphere. Suddenly, after starting to do some explorations to her website, the header turned into very annoying, it moved very quickly, disturbing my attention and making it hard to read what was on the page. Honestly, she is not the only one to create such annoying website design. There are many webmasters; especially newcomers are absolutely misperception with their ideas and tendency to go overboard with their design in one way or another.
Actually, it is not a mistake to have a nice attractive header. However, is it necessary to assault the visitor's mind with it? Well, in my humble opinion, definitely not! Ironically, webmasters often forget that their Website Design should reflect the website topic to the visitors. Well, it is not difficult to be annoying. Below, some of the highlights, you can decide for yourself whether you have been annoying your visitors or not.
- Huge font size - Well, if you are doing a hard work for a website that targeted for people with a disability, then you are doing the right thing. However, if not, you are shouting. People dislike it when someone shouts at them.
- Tiny font size - Well, do you tend to be heard? Try to keep a normal tone, you do not need to shout, try to "speak" in an appropriate volume.
- Cheesy background music - Unless you are doing music-related business, such as sell music CDs or operating an online Internet radio station, why play a wav/midi file in the background repeatedly on every page?
- Popup windows - Although many add on tools have blocked it, many webmasters are still using them. The bad news is sometimes we actually miss crucial information because of those anti popup tools.
- Overlapping layers - Putting an annoying message in your visitor's face is one of the easiest ways to kill your website's traffic.
Perhaps, you have many more annoying design cases in mind. It is not the matter of taste; it is more about being the honest person we all try to be when we go to a party. We can put many efforts into our website then find out that our visitors hate it. Well, I have tried to mention couples of things that might be useful to some webmasters and web designers. You know better yourself than me, but I am going to send this post to my friend, hoping that she will send it to her client.
Thank you for visiting SurayBlog